New deadline for exchanging pesetas
The deadline for exchanging banknotes and coins (press release only available in Spanish) from pesetas to euro at the Banco de España has been extended by six months, until 30 June 2021.
Banknotes and coins can be exchanged:
- By registered post, if you are not in Spain. In this case, you can send the related form beforehand electronically.
- In person at the Banco de España's headquarters in Madrid or at any of its branch offices.
Owing to the current health crisis, you need to make an appointment to exchange pesetas at any of the Banco de España branches. Opening hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday to Friday.
If you choose to do it in person at the Banco de España, you must:
- Provide proof of identity (DNI, residency card or passport).
- Follow the indications and instructions given by Banco de España staff and keep a safe distance.
- Wear a face mask at all times. Masks are available at our premises. If you are advised not to wear one for medical reasons, you must provide the relevant medical documentation.
Please note that not all pesetas can be exchanged.